Last Monday I talked about how writers have to make writing a priority. I mentioned that some things just have to get pushed to the wayside in order for us to get things done. I'm a scheduler. I like to know exactly how I will be spending my time. I work two part-time jobs and have two young kids, as well as the freelance stuff I do, so any moment I get is a luxury. I always try to schedule in writing/reading time. For example, in between jobs, I come home for 45 minutes for lunch. Right now, since I'm editing, I like to try and get some reading done. At night, after I pick up the kids, feed them, and send them to bed, I read some more or do some writing until I go to bed. That's when I get the bulk of my stuff done.

Since time is something I have to steal, I covet it, and I get really angry when my schedule gets messed up. I'm only 32, but I understand why old people get so mad when someone/thing messes up their day. It's extremely irritating and throws everything off. Sadly, my kids are just the same. The 3 year old will lose sleep if we mess up his schedule, and the 19 month old gets very cranky. They are a little more flexible than I am, but not much. I try not to let it bother me, to go with the flow, but I'm pretty bad at it.

Now, I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I don't have every day planned down to the minute. In fact, my weekends are pretty open. I like to play those by ear. Since I'm usually so busy during the week, I try to leave that time open to hang out with the family. I still have things to do, but it usually doesn't involve writing/reading, unless I have a deadline. I try to spend my weekends catching up on TV and watching movies. I don't think I would be able to accomplish all that I have if I wasn't a little OCD (OK, a lot, but it works!).
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)