Movie Review Monday

Despicable Me (2010)

I heard a lot of good things about this film, mainly how funny it was, so I was ready to be blown away. Sadly, I was disappointed. There were funny moments, but nothing like I was expecting.

I did like the whole portrayal of the villains: dorky guys with nothing better to do. That was a change from the very dark and sinister villains that you normally see in cartoons, although I like those guys too. It was pretty predictable, but that's what you expect from a kids' cartoon.

We thought the 3 year old would really enjoy it, but he just kind of stared at the TV. He laughed a few times, but he laughed a lot harder at Tangled. Maybe he was just tired. We did get up and dance during the final credits. That was fun.

I've been thinking about time portrayal in cartoons lately. Things happen in a relatively short amount of time, especially people falling in love (we also watched The Princess and the Frog, and Disney is notorious for characters falling in love rather quickly), and I find it very interesting. I know a lot of it has to to with the actual time constraints of the film, but I'm also thinking it has to do with kids' inability to grasp the concept of time. Plus, who wants to watch a movie where things happen like they do in real life? Boring! I'm still working this out in my brain, so I'll let you know if I come to any conclusions.

The movie wasn't horrific, and it did have some funny moments. I'm sure if the 3 year old wanted to watch it again, it wouldn't kill me to turn it on. Does anyone else have an opinion on this film?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)