This Week in Writing

I know it's not Friday, but the boys don't have daycare tomorrow, so I won't have time to post.

I finished a rewrite of a short story and sent it off to an editor. I originally wrote the story a while ago, it's been so long I can't even remember when! The first version was an attempt at noir, but it didn't work out very well. It was very passive. On this attempt, I tried to make it a little darker, completely forgoing the noir feel. I'm not sure how I feel about the end...

I also started the sequel to my YA zombie novel. I have some time while I'm waiting to hear about my nonfiction, and I can't remember the short story I wanted to do, so I decided to start on this. I'm sure I won't get it done before I have to switch, but at least I'll have a start!


The other night, the boys and I went to my sister's house to celebrate my niece and nephew's birthdays. While we were there, my niece was telling me a story about how their cat brings in dead mice. She told me that he left it on the floor, and she was the one who found it. My sister then proceeded to tell me that my niece wanted to keep it as a pet.

I stared at her and said, "The dead mouse?"

My niece's eyes got wide and she nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah."

I'm pretty sure my response was something like, "Okaaay".

She continued to tell me how she wanted live mice, but I told her it probably wasn't a good idea if her cat likes to kill them. She agreed with me.

I suppose out of all the things in the world my niece could want, a dead mouse isn't really out of the ordinary. A bit odd, yes, but she is from my family.

I hope the Easter Bunny brings you all something better than dead mice this weekend. Unless, of course, you're into that kind of thing! Have a great one!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)