Loss of Confidence

I'm my own worst critic. Always have been. You are probably your own worst critic, too. It's natural. I'm very psychotic when it comes to my writing. On one hand, I think I'm pretty good at what I do. I enjoy it, or else I wouldn't do it. But there's always that voice in my brain that tells me I'm no good.

I like having my work published. I like being able to share it with others. But, right before it comes out, when I have the galley proof to go through, I have a little freak out. It suddenly hits me that people are going to read this and judge it. What if they don't like it?

After that initial issue, once the book is actually out, I'm fine. There will be people who don't like. I can't do anything about that, so why worry about it? I'm thick skinned. I can handle criticism. You have to, or you won't make it past your first rejection. I'll just keep doing what I do.

Yesterday was said freak out. The editor sent me the image that will be used for my nonfiction book. It's Michael Myers, which is fine, though he's not my favorite killer. It doesn't have the title or byline on it, but I'm sure it will be awesome when it does. After looking at the image, it hit me: this book is really going to come out. Someone is going to publish this. People are going to read it.

And cue freak out. What if they don't like it? What if they tear my argument to shreds? I know it will be fine. Things will work out. And if they don't like it or disagree, nothing I can do about that. There were books I read for research where I didn't agree with the authors' arguments. I highly doubt it bothered them. In fact, they probably don't even know (unless they read the book, then they'll know), but I doubt it will break them. More than likely, it won't break me either.

I haven't gained all my confidence yet. I don't have the book in my hand. Plus, I'm sure I'll have a few more edits. Do you think it's too late to withdraw my submission?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)