Kids and Reading

Most of us know how important reading is. As an author, I want as many kids as possible to read. I started reading to my kids when they were in the womb. They love books and being read to, and the 4 year old is recognizing letters. He starts school in the fall of this year, and I think he's going to enjoy being able to read.

I, too, like being read to. As I mentioned in a previous post, I never thought I would. I thought listening to a book on tape would make me fall asleep, but it is truly enjoyable. I now know the appeal to kids.

I remember even when I was in grade school, 5th and 6th grade and into junior high, my mom used to read books to me and my siblings. I distinctly remember that she read The Witches by Roald Dahl because she did the voices for the witches. I'm positive she read other ones, but I don't remember them. We used to gather on the couch in the living room and away she'd go. I loved it!

I do the same thing now. I really enjoy reading to my kids and groups, even adults. It gives them a feel of how I envision my characters and the type of emphasis I give my story. I would love to listen to other authors read their stuff too.

My point to this whole thing is that my spouse and I are going to a literacy thing tonight. His business is sponsoring it in some way. From the little information he's given me, we are going to an elementary school where they feature books and stories written by students. We read the stories, then put comments in the back, telling them how much we enjoyed it. It's a way to encourage future writers. Sounds like my kind of event!

The only thing that could possibly make it better is listening to them read their stories. I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)