Old vs. New

Yesterday, one of my Facebook friends posted a Looney Tunes video from Youtube. It was an old one, with Daffy Duck as Robin Hood. The particular clip was Daffy swinging from a tree to intercept the rich guy riding the horse, but he never makes it because he hits various trees along the way.

I chuckled when I saw she posted this because my kids have recently been really into Looney Tunes. One of the 5 year old's favorite cartoons is the one with Bugs Bunny and the bull.



He likes the part when the bull swallows the rifle and shoots bullets out of his horns. Cracks him up!

Personally, I like almost all of the Looney Tunes cartoons. My favorite character is Daffy. We share a lot of personality traits. Like him, I'm on the verge of insanity and a bit self-centered.

We watch both the old Looney Tunes and the new one. The new one is all right, but it's not the cartoons I grew up with. I've also noticed that Daffy is just plain mean. They have taken his selfishness to a whole new level. I don't relate to that one at all. There are moments that are funny, but I still prefer the classic ones.

It got me thinking about writing and my old vs. new work. As I've mentioned before, a lot of my writing was started back in high school. Back then, I thought I knew what I was doing. Now, when I look at it, it makes me laugh. Really? I thought that was good? But at the same time, there is room for improvement. I like the challenge of fixing my work. It gives me a goal to strive for.

I don't think everything needs to be improved upon. Some stuff should just be left alone (there are several of my stories that fall into that category). Looney Tunes was one of those. You can't fix what was already great (this only applies to the cartoon. Most of my old stories would not fall into this category). It's nice to go back and look at the old (both cartoons and my work), it's always good for a laugh.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)