Meet An Author


Dusty Crabtree has been a high school English teacher at Yukon High School since 2006, a challenge she thoroughly enjoys. She is also a youth sponsor at Cherokee Hills Christian Church in Oklahoma City and feels very blessed with the amazing opportunities she has to develop meaningful relationships with teens on a daily basis.  Her passion for teens has poured into her writing as well.  She is the author of the young adult urban fantasy, Shadow Eyes, through Musa Publishing, which will soon be a series.  She lives with her husband, Clayton, in Yukon, Oklahoma, where they often serve their community as foster parents.

Check out Dusty’s blog at http://dustycrabtree.wordpress.com/
Follow her on twitter at https://twitter.com/dustycrabtree
(also available at all major online bookstores)
View the book trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7UP9A0Fm78 



Iris thought she could ignore the shadows...until they went after everyone she loved.

Iris Kohl lives in a world populated by murky shadows that surround, harass, and entice unsuspecting individuals toward evil. But she is the only one who can see them. She’s had this ability to see the shadows, as well as brilliantly glowing light figures, ever since an obscure, tragic incident on her fourteenth birthday three years earlier.

Although she’s learned to cope, the view of her world begins to shift upon the arrival of three mysterious characters. First, a handsome new teacher whose presence scares away shadows; second, a new friend with an awe-inspiring aura; and third, a mysterious and alluring new student whom Iris has a hard time resisting despite already having a boyfriend.

As the shadows invade and terrorize her own life and family, she must ultimately revisit the most horrific event of her life in order to learn her true identity and become the hero she was meant to be.


Q) What inspired you to write this story? 


The inspiration actually came from a screenplay idea I had a few years prior.  The movie would have been about a cast of intertwined characters going about their lives and making mistakes with dark, creepy shadows (demons) hovering around them, whispering to them and influencing them to do evil things.  Only the audience would see the shadows, though.  The characters would be completely oblivious.  It would have been like a Christian horror movie, if there ever was such a genre!  However, my friend was really the one who inspired me to write the book as it was her suggestion and encouragement that made me even consider the mammoth task.

Q) How long did it take you to write? 


It took me 8 months to write the first draft (although I revised heavily as I wrote).  But I pretty much kept revising until I signed with Musa Publishing another 8 months later…and of course there was editing after that…

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing? 


I love getting in the zone when everything is just clicking.  I love surprising myself by coming up with the perfect phrase, whether that line makes me laugh, feel intense pain for a character, cringe, or pat myself on the back for being so eloquent with words.  Haha!  I actually came up with such a disturbing phrase one time while writing that I freaked myself out and had to take a breather.  The words were perfect but terribly disturbing.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing? 


I don’t know if this counts as “writing” or not, but I’m going to say promoting.  It’s not really writing, but that’s why it’s my least favorite – it takes up valuable time that I’d much rather use writing.  But, I guess that’s the name of the game.  (By the way, if that was too out of bounds for that particular question, I’ll say starting new chapters.)

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?


Okay.  I have to admit something.  I was drawing a complete blank, so I did what anyone else does when they can’t think of something.  I googled it.  Guess what I found?  There’s a website that gives a quiz to see what famous person in history you are most like! 
My results? 
#2 – Julius Caesar.  Seriously?  I’m pretty sure I don’t want to be stabbed in the back, so…moving on. 
#1 – Catherine the Great.  She was a pretty cool queen in Russia, so that’s not so bad.  But that made me realize that I’d like to be Queen of England for a day.  It think it would be fun to walk around and sleep in a castle, pretend to be important, and have my afternoon tea and biscuits served to me on a silver platter.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it? 


LOL! Wow, that is a good question!  If you count our fridge in the garage, I’d have to say a jar of maraschino cherries that I’m pretty sure was never opened.  I would guess it’s been there about 5 years, however I’m not sure of the expiration.  I think I may have checked for one once and didn’t find one, so I left it in there.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
I am currently working on the sequel to Shadow Eyes!  It will be a series of 4 books, and I am super excited about it.  I’m about 40% of the way done so far!  Yea!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)