Movie Review Monday

Rock of Ages (2012)

I like musicals.  Music is a huge part of my life and always has been, so I like when they are combined with my favorite past time.  I wanted to see this film since I saw the previews.  I'm a big fan of 80s music, so this had everything I wanted.

The movie wasn't terrible.  Even with Tom Cruise and Alec Baldwin, I watched it from beginning to end.  It seemed long at times, dragging through the middle.  There was a little more Journey music than I would have liked, but otherwise I enjoyed it.  I bet it is amazing on stage.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed it comes to Denver at some point in the future.

I recommend this film if you are a fan of 80s music and musicals; you won't be disappointed! 

The Raven (2012)

Edgar Allan Poe's death was a mystery.  No one knows exactly how he died, so this film took the liberty of giving us a possible explanation.  I have my Master's in English, so throughout my school career, I have been exposed to Poe's work.  I like it.  I'm sure that will shock none of you who know me and my penchant for the dark and macabre.

Anyway, the film is about a murderer in Boston who uses Poe's work as inspiration.  Both Poe and the police are on a mission to find the killer and save Poe's love.  There was gore, mystery, and suspense.  The portrayal of Poe in the film made me question what I remembered about his life.  For some reason, I kept thinking I'd learned somewhere that he wasn't an alcoholic and addict because he was allergic, but I couldn't remember for sure.  Of course, now I'm going to have to find out.

Even if you don't care or know much about Poe's life and works, the movie was still entertaining.  Like I said, it had gore, mystery, and suspense.  If those are elements that entertain you, check the film out.  And if you feel so inclined, read some of Poe's works.  You won't be disappointed.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)