Putting Yourself Out There

Yesterday, I got onto Amazon to check something .  Turns out, my second children's picture book is available in print.  You can find it here.


And no, the book is not about pregnancy, it's about being hungry and having a growly tummy.

Anyway, while I was there, I had to go to The Ifs page to get publication information.  As you can imagine, I cringed when I scrolled past the review section.  Even though most of them are positive, that one is still there.  Every author gets at least one in their career, I'm sure of it.  There's not a lot we can do to change it, and the reader is definitely entitled to their opinion.  In this day and age, it's so easy for anyone and everyone to have an opinion, and they voice it loudly and freely.

Putting myself out there as an author means I'm going to face criticism.  Not everyone is going to like what I write.  There are those who are just bitter and mean and make it their mission to destroy others.  I don't let that stop me.  I can't.  I can't be afraid of what others are going to think and let it dictate what I write.  I have to do what I want to do.

Don't get me wrong, it affects me.  There's no way it can't.  But at the same time, it doesn't control me.  It tried at one point.  I got so disheartened and upset about rejections, I was ready to throw in the towel.  I vowed I was never going to write another word.  I was done.  The world was going to have to live without my genius.  But it didn't last.  Obviously.  The world could care less if I succeed or fail.  The only one I was hurting was myself.  Not writing made me miserable and grumpy--even more so than the rejections.  At least if I was getting rejections I was trying.  That felt better than giving up.

The world is harsh and people can be cruel, but at the same time, there are always those who love what you do and can't get enough of your stories.  Their words and loyalty are worth everything.  They are the ones who keep you writing.  I am so grateful for my fans and readers.  I couldn't do it without you!  You're the reason I keep putting myself out there!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)