Haedyn’s Choice by Jennifer L. Oliver‏


During her many years of working at a daily newspaper, Jennifer L. Oliver honed her writing skills in secret. As an avid reader, she enjoys books that give her an entertaining and temporary escape from the ruckus of everyday life. Now, she hopes to bring the same enjoyment to others through her own work.

Jennifer is the author of The Haedyn Chronicles, and other dark urban fantasy and paranormal thrillers. She is also a freelance proofreader and always looking for the opportunity to help other authors reach their publishing dreams.

Although she was born and raised in North Carolina, she now lives on Florida's gulf coast with her husband, two cats, and a Royal Bahamian Potcake dog who is more than half her size and thinks the world revolves around treats. When she's not writing, you can find her playing in the flower garden, giggling with her granddaughter, and enjoying time with her family and friends.

www.jenniferloliver.com
https://www.facebook.com/JenniferLOliverAuthor
https://plus.google.com/+JenniferLOliver
https://twitter.com/Jenn_L_Oliver
http://pinterest.com/jennlewisoliver/
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6561912.Jennifer_L_Oliver


There’s always a choice.

Haedyn chooses to survive. As the last Unnamed, a species mistakenly created from angels and demons, she is an abomination to both the human and supernatural worlds. If survival means being the favorite servant of the demon Azazel, it’s a choice she can live with. Until she meets Lex.

Former investigative reporter, Lex Carter knows more than the average human - he saw his brother murdered by vampires. Now he’s dedicated his life to learning everything there is to know about monsters, how to kill them, and what happens to their victims. But when he’s kidnapped by a super-human albino who claims she's protecting him, he realizes that not all supernatural creatures are monsters and there may be one that's worth saving.

Together, they just might be able to discover the truth about Haedyn’s past and free her from Azazel’s bonds. But will she still choose to survive when it means risking the souls of those she loves?


Available at Amazon

Q) What inspired you to write this story?
I’m not really sure if there is any one thing that inspired Haedyn’s Choice. Like most of my stories, characters tend to just pop into my mind playing out scenes and running through dialogue. It’s kind of like a mini-movie playing in my head. 

Haedyn came to me with a lot of missing pieces. I knew what she looked like and her origins, but her story was harder to bring together. She went through quite a few personality changes before I found what was true to her character. At first, she was completely emotionless, very rigid and foreign to the world around her. Almost like an alien trying to understand her environment. But I knew that wasn’t right. So I just let myself write freely, no limitations, no outline. Eventually she told me her story - even a little bit about her past as well, which you can find in THE UNNAMED.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
In total, it took over a year to write Haedyn’s Choice. Mostly because I was a new author and still learning the writing process that would work best for me. 

I started writing it as a short story but as I learned more about Haedyn, I realized it was going to be much longer than that. I restructured it and plotted it out as a novel length book. Then, I couldn’t get a particular scene out of my head so I wrote it down as well, even though it wasn’t in the same timeline as the novel. I thought maybe it could be a prologue, but it was so much more than that. So, I made it into a prequel (The Unnamed) and published it while I finished up the novel.
 
Of course, during all of this I realized that one book wasn’t going to do Haedyn’s story justice and so I decided on a series, which meant backtracking and re-evaluating the plot to this first book. Finally, seven months later, I finished Haedyn’s Choice.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing? 
My favorite things is the creative process, letting my imagination run with ideas and building new worlds, new rules, new characters.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing? 
My least favorite part is writing out the first draft. I know that sounds odd, but that is the toughest part for me. I keep wanting to edit and fix, and revise, and rewrite everything. But if I let myself do that, then the doubts and fears that every writer experiences tend to take over my mind. It will freeze up my creativity and I’ll be blocked for weeks. 

I’m learning to just gag my inner editor/critic until I need her. ;)

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why? 
Wow, great question. I’m not sure I’d want to BE anyone else, even for a day. I kinda like being me. But I would love to meet and talk with a few people like Joss Whedon, Emily Dickenson, Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, Eliza Dushcu, and Ian Somerhalder, just to name a few.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it? 
HA! Perfect timing - I just cleaned out my fridge! The oldest thing (other than condiments) is a bottle of orange PowerAde that my hubby bought last week that he hasn’t even opened yet. I might give him another day before I confiscate it as my own.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
I’m so excited about all the projects I’m working on right now. Along with Demon Rising, Book 2 of the Haedyn Chronicles, there are at least two more books in that series that I’m in the outline stages for, plus I’m plotting out a paranormal crime/mystery novella series that should release next year. And, I’m really stoked about this one - I’m collaborating with a really great author on a new sci-fi/fantasy series. Next year is going to be so busy!

Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)