Strange Occurrences and Plausible Explanations

I’ve always been fascinated with ghosts. When I was in junior high, I bought a Ouija board. I own two packs of Tarot cards (although my favorite deck is my starter kit, but I don’t remember where I got them from). I absolutely love Ghost Hunters on SyFy, and I’ve actually been on a ghost hunt.

I’ve even had some crazy things happen to me. Let me give you some examples.

In high school, on Halloween, a few of us girls from the swim team were playing with the Ouija board. We asked the spirit to give us a sign if it was in the room, and the indicator pointed to a spider at the corner of the board.

One time in college, a group of friends and I were playing with the Ouija and asked the spirit to give us a sign it was in the room. A plant that was hanging over the window crashed onto the floor, and handprints were smudged on the blind.

Another time playing with the Ouija board on Halloween, we again asked the spirit to give us a sign, and a transformer blew on the telephone pole in the backyard and knocked out the power.

Whenever I stayed in the house of my ex-boyfriend, I would always have these horrific nightmares about corpses coming after me. He bought a dream-catcher to stave off the nightmares, which worked as long as I was sleeping under it. More often than not, he would pass out under it, leaving me on the unprotected side of the bed.

One night, he got up to go to the bathroom (I was already awake because I had a horrible dream), and on the way, he passed by a shadow figure about his height. He did a double take, then proceeded to do his business. I was freaking out, and closed my eyes, hoping that when I opened them, it would be gone. Nope. It was crouched right next to the bed, staring at me.

Despite my fascination and interest and the crazy things I’ve experienced, I’m actually quite skeptical about the existence of ghosts. People who want to see these experiences as paranormal will see them as such.  Personally, they were just coincidence to me.  I need more proof/evidence to explain it as paranormal.

The spider? He may have just happened to be there. The plant and the handprints. The hook was affixed to the wall with a sticky back. They don’t hold forever. And the handprints? It’s possible they were there the whole time and we never noticed. I mean, during the day, the blinds were usually pulled up to let in light. At night, it was dark, so we wouldn’t have been able to see them.

The transformer probably just got overloaded at that exact moment and decided to blow. It was Halloween. There were tons of parties happening that night, it might have just been it’s time.

I know there are those of you out there who would argue the other side of this. And that’s totally fine. It would be awesome to know these things were paranormal and get proof. And there are those who would freak out that I own a Ouija board. Which, yes, I still have and it’s in the closet with the other games. Because that’s all it is: a game. Parker Bros. put it out.

 Aside from these strange happenings, my friends and I also used to think it was funny to think “Pat” for every answer the “spirit” would give us, and that’s all the indicator would spell. If it was really a spirit, I would like to believe it could spell whatever it wanted, not what we were thinking.

But I’m not going to argue about the validity of a game. It entertained us, which was what it was created to do, and none of my friends became possessed with demons. On a side note, any horror movie that uses a Ouija board as the scary object that creates problems for the characters automatically loses points in my book.

The shadow is a little harder to explain, so I’m not going to try.

Even recently we had a strange occurrence happen in our house. My hubby and I had gone to bed about 10:15, and an hour later, I woke up to the TV on in the other room. I assumed that my husband had just left it on, not remembering in my half-asleep brain that we went to bed together, and told him to turn it off. He was out of it, so I had to get up and do it. The only thing I could think was that one of the pets accidentally hit the remote while jumping on/off the couch.

These things don’t usually scare me (with the exception of the shadow—stupid, creepy shadow), and more often than not they DO have a plausible explanation. I would LOVE for something else to happen to me that I couldn’t explain, but I’m not going to hold my breath waiting. And I would absolutely LOVE to go on another ghost hunt.

I’m fascinated with ghosts because I don’t really understand them, but I want to understand them. However, until I get more concrete examples or have more experiences, I will continue to remain skeptical.

What about you? What’s your thoughts on ghosts?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)