Book Binges

When I was a kid, I used to make fun of my mom for reading Romance novels.  Every free moment she had, her nose would be buried in one.  They were stacked on our bookshelves, on the floor of her room, in the living room--wherever she could find space until she finally donated them.

I couldn't tell you how many she went through in a week, but it was a few.  She LOVED them, probably still does.  She read other things too, lots of other things.  I remember having conversations at dinner about Jurassic Park.  At one point, she even went on a science fiction kick to help with something she was teaching.  (That was one of my favorite kicks.  I read some great books!)

My mom's love of reading is what got me into reading.  However, it wasn't until I was older that I understood her obsession with Romance novels.  I don't read Romance (although I have tried), but I have my own version of Romance novels that I like to binge on: Alien books and Star Wars novels.

I'm particularly fond of the Alien books.  Since the first time I saw Aliens, I've been hooked.  Obsessed, if you will.  And there has recently been three new novels that have come out.




There is just something wonderful about reading something quick, light, and predictable.  It's relaxing.  It makes me happy.  It reminds me of what inspired my interest in sci fi and horror in the first place.

But the most important part of reading these books is that it allows me to escape for a little while.  I get a chance to get away to another planet and forget about my troubles as others are being torn apart.  I have a feeling that was probably the most important part for my mom, too.  She just preferred to go to a different world.

What about you?  Do you have books that you love to binge on and escape with?

In other news, The Appeal of Evil will be available for 99 cents in January.  This is in celebration of the release of Dealing with Devils.  If you would be so kind as to help me get the word out, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)