I Have to Find My Happy

My oldest finished his football season on Saturday. It wasn’t a good season. The poor kids didn’t win one game. It was kind of mind boggling because there were only two teams, and they practiced together, but once they got on the field, one was way more dominant than the other.

On the whole, however, it didn’t bother my son. There was one game he was bummed out because they weren’t playing the way they were supposed to, but otherwise, he just enjoyed being able to play.

Even after losing his championship game on Saturday, he said he didn’t care. He is excited for next season and can’t wait. He had fun, he enjoyed playing, and that was all that mattered.

I am extremely proud of him for having that outlook. It would have been so easy for him to throw his helmet and say he was never playing again. He could have crossed his arms, threw himself on the couch, and cried. But he didn’t.

Watching my son react that way reminds me how important it is to look at the good things in life and just have fun. So often, the world weighs us down. We get caught up in drama or a crappy job or whatever and let it rule our lives. We stop being happy and just go through our days.

The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to be happy. Life is so short. Granted, there are always responsibilities we have to take care of, but they shouldn’t drag us down. They shouldn’t be the only thing we have to look forward to.

I’ve been in a rough place for a while now, and sometimes it’s hard to see the good or the fun. But it’s out there. If my son can see it through defeat, then so can I. I just have to look a little harder.

Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)